miniheader about

whitespace

Home | About Us | Our Guiding Foundations

title ourguidingfoundationssquare girlstalking
St John's had its beginnings as early as 1840 when Archbishop Polding blessed the cornerstone of the building now known as Quondong. 
Then it was St Patrick's School, the first Catholic school built by private enterprise in the colony. A number of dedicated Irish lay teachers ran the school in the late 1880's. The Sisters of the Good Samaritan assumed responsibility for teaching at St Patrick's in 1889.

The school continued on the site near the present Catholic Club till 1914, when it was transferred to its present location in Lindesay Street near St. John's Church. The school name was also changed at this time.

The intervening years have seen the school grow and flourish under the astute guidance of successive principals and dedicated teachers and many local parents and parishioners have played an active role in the school's development.

The influence of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan is felt still, even though they are no longer within the school. Once again, as in the early days of our history, dedicated lay teachers are playing a vital role in Catholic Education. At present there are approximately 580 children enrolled. We are justly proud of our heritage and strive to continue to expand the influence of our school.